Skip to main content Skip to footer
Zahnow Library and courtyard

AP/IB/CLEP Policies

Congratulations on your hard work and efforts to get ahead pursuing your college degree while still enrolled in high school. SVSU rewards academic pursuits by giving credit earned through AP, IB, CLEP, or dual enrollment. If you have any questions about selecting exams or coursework that will apply to your degree here at SVSU, please contact us at our office email ( or phone number (989-964-4200). We look forward to having you join us here at SVSU!

Advanced Placement (AP) Policy:

SVSU grants either transfer credit, advanced placement or both, to students who have completed college-level studies while still in high school and have earned satisfactory scores on AP examinations. Most AP exams require a minimum score of (3) or (4) to receive credit at SVSU.

Find out how your AP Exams Transfer to SVSU.

Instructions on how to read AP Credits


International Baccalaureate (IB) Policy:

SVSU grants transfer credit to students who have earned satisfactory scores on individual International Baccalaureate examinations.

  • IB exams are evaluated on a course-by-course basis. No additional credits or waivers are given with the completion of an IB diploma.
  • Credit is granted only for Higher Level (HL) examinations with scores of (4) or higher. Standard Level (SL) examinations are not accepted.
  • Credit is granted for the Theory of Knowledge (TOK) course with a grade of “C” or better.
  • Credit is granted for the Extended Essay with a grade of “C” or better.

 Please contact us at our office email ( or phone number (989-964-4200) to find out how courses will transfer.


College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) Policy:

The CLEP testing program gives individuals the chance to earn college credit by examination in a variety of areas of study. By meeting minimum score requirements on these computerized exams, test takers can earn college credit for certain general education courses and/or for select courses specific to certain academic majors. SVSU is also a certified testing center for CLEP Exams. If you would like to learn more about taking a CLEP test at SVSU, visit the SVSU Testing Center.

Find out how your CLEP Exams Transfer to SVSU.

CLEP Transfer viewing instructions



Office of Admissions
178 Wickes Hall, 7400 Bay Road, University Center, MI 48710
(989) 964-4200